Matthew George "Matt" Reeves (born April 27, 1966) is an American film writer, director and producer.
Reeves was born in Rockville Centre, New York, and raised in Los Angeles, California. He began making movies at eight years old, directing friends with a wind-up camera. Reeves met and became friends with J.J. Abrams when both were 13 years old, and both were having their short films aired on a Public-access television cable TV channel.
Reeves attended the University of Southern California. There, he produced an award-winning student film titled Mr. Petrified Forest, which helped him acquire an agent, and also co-wrote a script that eventually became Under Siege 2: Dark Territory. After graduating, he co-wrote The Pallbearer, which also became his professional directorial debut.
Reeves and Abrams co-created the TV series Felicity, and Reeves directed several of that series episodes, including the pilot, Reeves has helmed the occasional episode of other TV series, including Homicide: Life on the Street and Relativity.
Reeves directed the 2008 monster movie, Cloverfield, which Abrams produced, and will produce the sequel of the film.
He also wrote and directed Let Me In, a remake of the Swedish film Let the Right One In, which was released on October 1, 2010 by Overture Films. He was a special guest at the 2010 San Diego Comic Con.
In 2012, it was announced that Reeves will direct a movie based on the classic hit TV series The Twilight Zone. He says that the film will have one main story that could relate to the original series. The film was about to develop in summer 2013 but Reeves left the project for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, the sequel to Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which is set for a release on July 14, 2017.
Since 2011 Reeves is working on the script of 8 O'Clock in the Morning, a science fiction film based on the short story of same name written by Ray Nelson. He will also direct the film and Universal Pictures will produce the film.
On January 2014 Reeves was rehired by Fox to helm a third Planet of the Apes reboot film along with screenplay to be written by himself and Dawn co-writer Mark Bomback.
- Future Shock (1993) (Mr. Petrified Forest segment) (writer, director)
- Under Siege 2: Dark Territory (with Richard Hatem) (1995) (co-writer)
- The Pallbearer (1996) (co-writer, with Jason Katims)
- Relativity (1997) (TV)
- Homicide: Life on the Street (1997) (TV)
- Gideon's Crossing (2000) (TV)
- Felicity (1998â"2002) (co-creator, with J. J. Abrams) (TV)
- The Yards (with James Gray) (2000) (co-writer)
- Miracles (2006) (TV)
- Conviction (2006) (TV)
- Cloverfield (2008)
- Let Me In (2010)
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
- Third Planet of the Apes movie (2017) (director, writer with Mark Bomback)
- Matt Reeves at the Internet Movie Database
- LAist.com Interview with Matt Reeves