John Paul Pinette (/pÉ¨ËnÉt/ pÉ-NET; March 23, 1964 â" April 5, 2014) was an American actor, Broadway performer, and stand-up comedian. He toured the comedy club circuit beginning in the 1980s and appeared in cinema and on television. Besides stand-up, Pinette did impressions of The Chipmunks, Elvis Presley, Gollum from The Lord of the Rings, HervÃ© Villechaize (Tattoo from Fantasy Island), an Ewok, actor Marlon Brando (notably Brando's role in The Godfather), as well as various ethnic accents. He occasionally sang, for example "Over the Rainbow" from The Wizard of Oz, and "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" in stand-up routines.
John Pinette was born in Boston, Massachusetts, on March 23, 1964, and graduated from Malden Catholic High School in 1982. He graduated from the University of Massachusetts Lowell in 1986 with a degree in Accounting. He started a career in accounting, but on the advice of friends left to pursue a career in comedy.
Pinette had Irish and French ancestry.
Pinette got a break when asked to tour with Frank Sinatra. Pinette was a regular guest on The Tonight Show and The View.
Pinette was in Duets, Dear God, and Junior. He was a regular on the series Parker Lewis Can't Lose, and in 1998 starred as the carjack victim in the final episode of Seinfeld. In 2004, Pinette was Bumpo in Artisan Entertainmentâs The Punisher, starring Thomas Jane and John Travolta.
Pinette was named Stand-Up Comedian of the Year by the American Comedy Awards in 1999 and received a Gemini Award nomination for his televised performance at Montreal's Just for Laughs Comedy Festival in 2000. As of his death, he still held the record for the highest selling one person show in the history of Just for Laughs.
In 2004, Pinette joined the touring cast of the musical Hairspray in the role of Edna Turnblad. He later went on to the Broadway production in 2005, and continued in the role until May 28, 2006. In his 2006 concert I'm Starvin', he said it was the first musical theater production he had been in since high school.
In 2004, Pinette's stand up material was featured in Comedy Central's animated series Shorties Watchin' Shorties. In 2007, Pinette performed at the 42nd annual MDA Jerry Lewis Telethon. He performed at the Edinburgh Comedy Festival in Edinburgh, Scotland, in 2008, and toured in cities in 2010 beginning in April. During this tour, Pinette recorded a Comedy Central special entitled "John Pinette: Still Hungry". The taping took place at the Vic Theatre in Chicago. The world premiere of "John Pinette: Still Hungry" was on July 29, 2011, on Comedy Central.
Pinette was a host of the E4 laughs at Edinburgh podcasts, showcasing comedians from the Edinburgh Festival in 2008.
In 2012, Pinette was one of the comedy acts in Ron White's Comedy Salute to the Troops on CMT.
He was the host of All You Can Eat, a TV series taking a humorous look at American cuisine. The show debuted on the H2 network in the U.S. in late June 2013.
Pinette was pronounced dead at 2:30 p.m. on April 5, 2014, at the Sheraton Station Square Hotel in Pittsburgh. The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's office said Pinette had been suffering from liver and heart disease. An autopsy was not performed, as Pinetteâs personal doctor signed off on his cause of death as pulmonary embolism.
- Show Me the Buffet (CD, 1998)
- I Say Nay Nay (DVD, 2005)
- I'm Starvin'! (DVD, 2006)
- Making Lite of Myself (CD, 2007)
- Still Hungry (DVD, 2011)
- ALF (1990) - as Howie Anderson
- Vinnie & Bobby (1992) - as William 'Bill' Melvin Belli
- Revenge of the Nerds III: The Next Generation (1992) - as Trevor Gulf
- Parker Lewis Can't Lose (1993) - as Coach Hank Kohler
- Reckless Kelly (1993) - as Sam Delance
- Junior (1994) - as Clerk
- Revenge of the Nerds IV: Nerds in Love (1994) - as Trevor Gulf
- Hart to Hart: Secrets of the Hart (1995)
- Dear God (1996) - as Junior
- Seinfeld (1998) - as Howie
- Simon Sez (1999) - as Micro
- Duets (2000) - as Finale Singer
- My 5 Wives (2000) - as Stewart
- Do It for Uncle Manny (2002) - as Sammy Levine
- Piece a' Cake (2003) - as Sammy
- The Punisher (2004) - as Bumpo
- The Last Godfather (2010 film) - as Macho
- All You Can Eat (2013 television series) - Host
- List of stand-up comedians
- Official website Unregistered domain as of May 9th 2014 (now-recovered memorial site)
- John Pinette at the Internet Movie Database
- John Pinette at Edinburgh Comedy Festival
- E4 Laughs at Edinburgh